New Year Activities for the Elementary Classroom

In this post, I've provided a fun snowflake activity your students will love. I also link to January writing prompts.

Happy New Year. I hope you survived your first week back at school. My granddaughter gave me her precious snowman art project and I thought it would be perfect for my blog post. If you live in the south, you probably see very little snow. We just imagine snowflakes and building snowmen. I have a few fun activities for those who need a little snow in your lives.

1. Make your own snowflakes with Borax and water.

In this post, I've provided a fun snowflake activity your students will love. I also link to January writing prompts.

Materials:
- 1/3 of a cup of Borax
- 2 cups hot water
- pipe cleaners (I cut into thirds to make the shape of snowflakes)
- string to hold the snowflakes in place 
- pencil or popsicle stick to wrap the string around
- mason jar or some type of jar for the liquid mixture

Directions:
- Pour 1/3 cup Borax into the mason jar
- Add 2 cups of hot water and stir until the Borax is dissolved
- Twist the pieces of pipe cleaners together in the shape of a snowflake
- Tie the string at the end of the snowflake shape.
- Tie the other end of the string to the pencil or popsicle
- Drop the snowflake into the mixture (you can even add food coloring to the mixture if you want to add color)
- Leave for 24 hours or overnight
- Dry the snowflake on foil or wax paper

In this post, I've provided a fun snowflake activity your students will love. I also link to January writing prompts.

In this post, I've provided a fun snowflake activity your students will love. I also link to January writing prompts.

2. January Writing Prompts - Start the year off with these great writing prompts. I've provided over 20 different writing prompts in this packet for your class. Students can color the cover page and select the different prompts to write about.

In this post, I've provided a fun snowflake activity your students will love. I also link to January writing prompts.


3. Editable Snowman PowerPoint - For a review game, try this free editable PowerPoint game. Students answer the questions correctly to build a snowman. All you do is add your own questions and answers. The rest has been done for you.

In this post, I've provided a fun snowflake activity your students will love. I also link to January writing prompts.



4. Snowmen at Night - This is such a sweet book to read to your students when you are doing writing prompts or the snowflake craft.

In this post, I've provided a fun snowflake activity your students will love. I also link to January writing prompts.

I hope these activities get you going during 2016. Have a wonderful new year.

No comments

Powered by Blogger.