Back to School Book Favorites



If you're like me, I'm always looking for great books for myself and for the classroom. Our Reading Crew Blogger group has joined together to share some of our favorite books to begin the year.

Have you had new students in your class from another country? What do you do to help these children adjust to a new school and new country? Living in Austin, we have so many students who have immigrated from Mexico and Asian countries. And, we have students who have been adopted from another country. It's our job to help these children adjust to their new environment and to help other students learn how to accept them.

I've come across a beautiful book that is perfect for the beginning of the year. There are so many life lessons that come from The Name Jar by Yanksook Choi. This book opens wonderful discussions on how it feels to be different and what we can respond to others' differences. The book is recommended for grades k-2, but I would read it to any elementary level.


After reading The Name Jar, you can also teach origin of names so your students can learn about their heritage and how they got their names. 

I highly recommend The Name Jar so your students can begin the year learning about friendship and acceptance. Here's a sample just for you.





1 comment

  1. I purchases the Name Jar last year, but never used it in my classroom. Thank you for the freebie! I am excited to read it this year with my students now!

    ReplyDelete

Powered by Blogger.